Ari wants a bagel for lunch. So, while I am preparing it he is sitting on the floor playing with our tea kettle. I am trying to remember whether he has ever seen me use it before, because he keeps telling me that water goes in there. I don't think he has. I am pretty sure that the only thing he knows about tea pots is the song, and I don't recall there being a verse that goes anything like this: "fill me up with water, put me on the stove, then you light the burner, water starts to boil..."
For some reason this episode reminds me of a work friend I had about a decade ago. She and I would go to breakfast every Saturday before work (and eat bagels). We pretty much always had the same server, he looked just like the woman who lived across the street from me when I was a kid. I always thought they must be related. Anyway, for one reason or another we stopped going to breakfast. Several months later, she told me that she went there for breakfast with another girl we knew. Evidently our server had quite the wrong idea about the nature of our relationship, as he spent the entire meal giving her reproachful looks as if she were somehow betraying me by bringing this other woman to our restaurant. We had a pretty good laugh about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment