Sunday, December 30, 2012

Music in the air conditioning

I heard an interesting story today on NPR about the sounds of modern technology. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/110/mapping?act=2
This guy basically listened to all the noises in his environment and then charted out what notes or chords his house, work, or car were playing to him. Most of the music was pretty discordant and unsettling. He was drawing the conclusion that maybe the stress, depression, and unhappiness in modern society is linked to the sounds we are surrounded by (and tune out) daily. I have thought about this before; when working on amps at Judybox. That is when I learned that because electricity comes out of the walls at 120v, most air conditioners or other electronics in America hum at 240, it is a flat B. Not B flat, just out of tune. I have noticed that when I sing lullabies to Ari, I sing in the key of his humidifier. My refrigerator sometimes sounds like a rocket ship launching into outer space. I swear that the Austin band the Horsies must have the same printer that I own because every time I print something, the rhythm and whirring sound exactly like the chorus to one of their songs.

It is a common theme in literature that when city folk go into the country, the quiet is unsettling because we are so accustomed to the constant noise in the city. Often a point brought up just before something spooky happens. 

While listening to this piece today, I thought maybe we should tune our houses. Then the reporter said something like "are we looking at a future industry of house tuning?" The logical conclusion I suppose.
Happiness is a well tuned house.

No comments:

Post a Comment